Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Modification ideas..

getnorthern

Reaction score
Has anyone considered either of the following?
  • Fixing a small plastic mirror at a ~45deg angle in front of the camera, to effectively get a downwards view from the camera;
  • Attaching tiny battery-powered LEDs to the drone, to increase visibility;
  • Seeing if it's possible to mount a small solar cell to the top of the Tello, to boost battery life.
I'm considering these - any thoughts...?

Last edited:
We have the same issues with the Tello, but different solutions. I’m hoping they bring out a Tello 2 soon. If they give the next Tello a 1 way manual gimble (for adjusting the camera up/down) & a battery charging pack (so I can charge 3 batteries at once) I will be 1 of the 1st to buy.
I like your ideas, the trouble is you are adding weight. Even the solar panel would probably cause less flight time, as the extra power couldn’t compensate for the weight it adds.

Reactions: getnorthern
I haven’t seen the charger. Thanks! Let’s hope for a gimble. Oh & I should add that the total weight has to remain below 100 grams to not add extra gov regulations.

That proves the Tello can fly with extra weight. If you google “Tello 2” it shows predictions for the next version. The most probable development in their opinion is the ability to tilt the camera. No idea of when this will be released. ?

I have added 20 grams to test the payload of the Tello. It was no problem to fly, even if the motor speed was much higher. I think it should be able to carry up to 30 grams :) (ok, battery runtime will decrease heavily, but ok, it will work some time ;) )

Greets from Germany

That proves the Tello can fly with extra weight. If you google “Tello 2” it shows predictions for the next version. The most probable development in their opinion is the ability to tilt the camera. No idea of when this will be released. ?
I sure hope that they add micro SD video storage on board.

We have the same issues with the Tello, but different solutions. I’m hoping they bring out a Tello 2 soon. If they give the next Tello a 1 way manual gimble (for adjusting the camera up/down) & a battery charging pack (so I can charge 3 batteries at once) I will be 1 of the 1st to buy.
I like your ideas, the trouble is you are adding weight. Even the solar panel would probably cause less flight time, as the extra power couldn’t compensate for the weight it adds.
Ryze just released their 3 way battery charging hub for the Tello. It's on the official DJI store.
Agreed on the gimbal, I often find myself wanting to tilt the camera up or down but not being able to.
I might end up getting a Spark anyway. The Tello is really cool but I find myself wanting more.

"I might end up getting a Spark anyway. "
That is, why they put this small thing into the shop.... promote the spark... so no tello2, just buy spark, than buy....

Reactions: Beire
There is 1 advantage the Tello has over the Spark, & every DJI copter ever sold. SIZE! I don’t know the regulations for every country. I have noticed that in many places a drone that weighs less than 100 grams has restrictions. In Australia drones over 100 grams can not be flown within 5.5 kilometres of an airport or in other restricted areas.

Reactions: Marcio Cartier
There is 1 advantage the Tello has over the Spark, & every DJI copter ever sold. SIZE! I don’t know the regulations for every country. I have noticed that in many places a drone that weighs less than 100 grams has restrictions. In Australia drones over 100 grams can not be flown within 5.5 kilometres of an airport or in other restricted areas.

In addition not to being restricted by regulations, Tello flies like a stealth aircraft, with its almost imperceptible noise and minimal size.
It doesn’t intrude in anybody’s perception, which expands a lot the choices of places to fly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv