Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Android testers needed.

If i leave app when i am connected and reopen it (back button or home button), it gets live feed and i can control it, but it says disconnected on top and the video seems really bad. after doing this, when i shut down the tello is speaks "disconnected" three times in a row. if i properly close the app from a task manager it behaves correctly.
I have seen this before but can't reproduce it now. If anyone is able to make it happen consistently let me know.

The problem with the joysticks is good recognizable on provided screenshots. If you move blue circle extremely outside then the gray circle moves also and you have some crop effects.
This bug is going to have to stay for the time being. To fix it without rewriting it I would have to make the joy touch area bigger and it would start to intefere with the buttons. The clipping area represents the limits of where you can start touching the joysticks.

Version 0.92 is up.

-Hopefully the conversion problem is fixed.
-It will only make a sound when you actually take a picture. Note there may now be a delay before you hear the sound.
-Only convert .h264 files.

aTello download page

Reactions: xanthos and Rob63
Did you try setting the joystick type in the settings? It might be a ps3/4 type. If not download the GamePad Tester app and see if your buttons match.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chiarly.gamepad&hl=en_US

There is only a speed button on the controller right now. I will have to add something to the UI.

Switching to the PS3/4 type didn't help, but the tester app revealed some interesting info. Turns out that my L2/R2 buttons function as axis, rather than buttons, and my select button functions as some weird button. I suspect plenty of people will have similar controller oddities, so the easiest way I can think to support everyone would just be to expose the controller bindings in the options menu.

Switching to the PS3/4 type didn't help, but the tester app revealed some interesting info. Turns out that my L2/R2 buttons function as axis, rather than buttons, and my select button functions as some weird button. I suspect plenty of people will have similar controller oddities, so the easiest way I can think to support everyone would just be to expose the controller bindings in the options menu.

I started down that road and the UI for it is a nightmare.

There should only be so many configs. What is HID mode? Does it have a config for playing games?

I started down that road and the UI for it is a nightmare.

There should only be so many configs. What is HID mode? Does it have a config for playing games?

HID is "Human interface device". It appears to function in a generic enough way that most games can figure out most buttons. The other option is "Mode A", which only a few games appear to understand.

You did try the Generic option right? That should match most game configs.

If that doesnt work I will have to make a new config for it. What kind is it again? Can you go into GamePad Tester and get the KeyCode and Axis name for each button and stick?

You did try the Generic option right? That should match most game configs.

If that doesnt work I will have to make a new config for it. What kind is it again? Can you go into GamePad Tester and get the KeyCode and Axis name for each button and stick?

Yup. It works best on generic mode. On PS3/4 mode, most things seem to work but the buttons are all shifted around. I didn't test that mode very fully.

It's a "Moga Pro". This thingie: https://www.amazon.com/PowerA-MOGA-Pro-Power-Electronic-Games/dp/B00FB5RBJM?th=1

Whenever I press L2/R2, GamepadTest pops up the "MotionEvent Action", but none of the individual items change. A similar event happens in other controller testing software I found.

My select button is the only other button that behaves oddly in GamePad Tester - It appears to be keycode 4.

So all functions (picture, record, takeoff/land on Start) work? And Select, L2 R2 do not?

I am thinking of removing the land on Select since pressing start in the air does the same thing. I am not sure what to do about the L2, R2 buttons without knowing what they are.

Tested Version 0.92, works great! Video conversion previously crashed the app but works now!
I am also able to change the screen ratio now which was not working earlier.

Occasionally, the app will start receiving corrupted frames continually and unable to display normal video feed. Following up with the app not responding from android OS error prompt and will need to force close.

Android 5.0.2

Thanks!

So all functions (picture, record, takeoff/land on Start) work? And Select, L2 R2 do not?

I am thinking of removing the land on Select since pressing start in the air does the same thing. I am not sure what to do about the L2, R2 buttons without knowing what they are.

That's why I was suggesting allowing controls to be remapable. You're always going to run into weird corner cases like my controller. It's better to give people the tools needed to swap things around to suit them. For me, I'd probably just swap L/R1 and L/R2, since I have no interest in recording videos on my controller.

Its tempting. But I'd have to build an Android UI (I suck at UI btw) to handle mapping X buttons and Y axis to Z possible inputs (some of which apparently don't have a name), including corner cases. I'd spend at least 12 hrs building it and the plumbing and probably double that supporting it in the future. Or I can spend 15 minutes manually building a config each time a new controller comes along.

There can't possibly be that many different joystick configs. I don't play a lot of Android games but I doubt they all have remapping screens.

BTW your Select button is apparently mapped to Androids "Back" button. Remapping it may cause the back button on the phone to not work in aTello. I wont have a way to test it.

Occasionally, the app will start receiving corrupted frames continually and unable to display normal video feed. Following up with the app not responding from android OS error prompt and will need to force close.
!
This sounds similar to the problem that happens occasionally when you leave and come back to the app. I am still looking for a way to reproduce it.

This sounds similar to the problem that happens occasionally when you leave and come back to the app. I am still looking for a way to reproduce it.

I manage to recreate the problem, not sure if you are able to. Once in the app with Tello connected and video feed shows normal, change the screen ratio by long press the camera button. Corrupted frames will start showing after consistently changing the screen ratio for after the third time or more. When corrupted frames are showing, it could not refresh properly or recovered. Follow by onscreen joysticks not responding and app not responding prompt will show.

Android 5.0.2

So is conversion working for everyone now?
Yes.

Just discovered one more issue. The brightness of the screen is really low in comparison to stock application. In the stock application I can recognize everything in sunny conditions. aTello is not usable under the direct sunlight.

Ps4 controller is not mapped in any special way in my configuration, but the control is incomplete in comparison to the description on github. I've explained it in my previous post. Beside GUI configuration for button mapping: reading this configuration by aTello from some user defined file could avoid implementation of complex GUI for it. The only thing to be implemented is showing codes for pressed buttons within aTello, so everyone can use these for own configuration file

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
97bugsinthecode